Every so often I receive emails with Design Tips, Thoughtful Organization and Home Projects from Better Homes & Gardens. This morning I found this article in my email inbox and thought to share with you all! Call them what you will, Mudrooms, Drop Zones & Everyday Entries are a hot item in the homebuilding industry for 2014. Whether you’re renovating your Mudroom Space, building new or planning for your future dream home these 8 Tips for Planning Your Mudroom might come in handy!
1. Choose a location carefully. The most common spot for a mudroom is just inside the garage or off the driveway, but consider other places as well. Just make sure the location matches your needs.
2. Make it work. A mudroom does not have to be a single room; it can be a cluster of hardworking spaces. An adjacent pantry, laundry room, and/or closet for brooms, mops, vacuums, and cleaning supplies will create a center for household management.
3. Take inventory. List the things your family takes in and out of the house every day, and then outfit the space accordingly. Include a cabinet, cubby, locker, or set of hooks for each family member. Additional cabinets for miscellaneous items come in handy too.
4. Get organized. Include a message center or even a desk area. Save space with a cabinet that combines a chalkboard on the front and a bulletin board inside. You’ll have a convenient communication hub and get all those flyers off the refrigerator.
5. Focus on durability. Stone or tile floors and laminate cabinets will look good after years of exposure to wet raincoats and muddy boots.
6. Charge it. Be sure to create a spot for recharging your family’s cell phones, beepers, and other electronic equipment.
7. Remember your friends. Include a few extra hooks for your friends’ coats and bags. Add a bench as a comfortable perch for putting on and taking off shoes.
8. Plan for pets. Hooks for leashes and baskets for toys will come in handy. A boot wash can double as a bathing spot for Todo.
Article & photo courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/storage/mudroom/planning-a-mudroom/?sssdmh=dm17.731778&esrc=nwdi042014